The 277th Quartermaster Service Battalion was constituted on July 25, 1942 and activated the following month at Hampton Roads, VA. The unit moved from Virginia to Fort Devens, Massachusetts, in May 1944. There it remained for several months before departing for the European Theater. On February 24, 1945, the 277th, with all its constituent units, landed on the French Coast and established temporary headquarters at Camp Lucky Strike.
In March 1945, the Battalion moved to Belgium, then on to occupy Germany, where it spent the remainder of the war. During this period, the unit was attached to the 471st Quartermaster Group with the U.S. First Army in Germany, and earned itself two battle streamers, embroidered with the words RHINELAND and CENTRAL EUROPE, indicating successful campaigns. The 277th Quartermaster Battalion departed Europe July 29, 1945, and redeployed to the Pacific Theater Headquarters Detachment and arrived in Manila (Philippine Islands) in September 1945, after Victory in Japan Day. They continued to serve in the Philippines until the unit was inactivated July 15, 1946.
The 277th Supply and Service Battalion (Direct Support) was reactivated and redesignated during the Vietnam War. The Unit arrived in the Republic of Vietnam July 20, 1966 and was attached to the 506th Army Depot at Long Binh for the next two years. Early in 1969, the 277th moved to Tay Ninh with the 29th General Support Group. It moved again in August 1970 to Di An, and then to the 80th General Support Group at Chu Lai. Finally, in November of 1971, the 277th Supply and Service Battalion moved to Da Nang in the far north, where it served as a long-range support battalion.
During its tour in Vietnam (1966-1973) the 277th Supply and Service Battalion was awarded the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Streamer embroidered VIETNAM, 1967-1968 and Meritorious Unit Commendation for the year 1969. In all, the 277th received 12 battle streamers from the Vietnam era. The unit returned to the United States in the spring of 1973 and was inactivated at Oakland, California March 14, 1973.
The 277th Quartermaster Battalion was reactivated once again March 13, 1987, when the 15th Battalion, 4th Combat Service Support Training Brigade, Fort Jackson, was re-designated. Here the battalion had the mission of training newly appointed Quartermaster Soldiers. The unit was later inactivated at Fort Jackson, North Carolina June 15, 1993.
The 277th Quartermaster Battalion was reactivated, and re-designated as 277th Aviation Support Battalion at Fort Drum, New York on June 22, 2005. The 277th ASB is ready to rapidly deploy worldwide to provide Combat Service Support to sustain the combat power of the 10th Multi-Functional Aviation Brigade.
In February of 2006, the 277th Aviation Support Battalion deployed to Afghanistan in Support of Operation Enduring Freedom VII, where it provided combat service and support to the 10th Combat Aviation Brigade, Task Force Falcon. The Unit redeployed in February of 2007 after earning the Lieutenant General Ellis D. Parker Award for best Aviation Battalion in 2006.
In May of 2007, the 277th Aviation Support Battalion deployed an Aviation Maintenance Task Force to Iraq in support of the 3/17th Cavalry Regiment, where they currently remain.
Description: A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Per chevron Buff and Azure, in base a torch pale wise Argent flammant Proper. Attached is a Blue scroll enclosing the shield at top and bottom, doubled Silver, inscribed “SERVICE FOR” at top and “FREEDOM AND LIBERTY” at bottom, all in Silver letters.
Symbolism: Buff is the primary color for support units. The chevron-like division of the shield alludes to support and a wedge driven into enemy territory. The blazing torch being the symbol of freedom is representative of service for freedom and liberty and is suggestive of zeal and fire with those objectives in view.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 277th Quartermaster Battalion on 20 October 1942. It was rescinded on 29 September 1976. It was reinstated with the description revised for the 277th Quartermaster Battalion on 9 October 1986. It was redesignated with the description and symbolism updated effective 16 September 2005, for the 277th Aviation Support Battalion.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
* Rhineland * Central Europe
* Counteroffensive, Phase II * Counteroffensive, Phase Ill * Tet Counteroffensive * Counteroffensive, Phase IV * Counteroffensive, Phase V * Counteroffensive, Phase VI * Tet 69 Counteroffensive * Summer-fall 1969 * Winter-spring 1970 * Sanctuary Counteroffensive * Counteroffensive, Phase VII * Consolidation I * Consolidation II * Cease Fire
* Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1969 (HHC 277th S&S Bn cited for period 15 Feb-15 Aug 1969; DAGO 39, 1970) * Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1967-1968 (HHC 277th S&S Bn cited for period 19 Apr 1967-31 Aug 1968; DAGO 48, 1971)