Master Sergeant John Q. Gaskill
Master Sergeant John Q. Gaskill is the First Sergeant of the 20th Air Support Operations Squadron at Fort Drum, New York. He advises the ASOS Commander on all health, morale, welfare, discipline and training issues affecting 101 military personnel. The 20 ASOS advises the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) on all aspects of air operations on the battlefield. They integrate air power into the Army scheme of maneuver. The squadron controls employment of allocated air assets on the battlefield to support Army garrison and battlefield commanders. They coordinate and manage joint air operations with other service components and allied air forces.
Sergeant Gaskill entered the Air Force in August of 1988 and completed basic military training at Lackland AFB, Texas. His background includes various duties in the Electrical Systems career field. Before assuming his current position, he served as Assistant First Sergeant at Travis from May 2008 to Sep 2009.
1992 Air Force Material Command Airman Leadership School, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
1997 NCO Professional Development Course, Howard AFB, Panama
2000 NCO Enhancement Seminar, Eglin AFB, FL
2002 Pacific Air Forces NCO Academy, Kadena AB, Okinawa Japan
2005 Air Force SNCO Academy, Course 12, Kadena AB, Okinawa Japan
2007 Associates Degree in Electrical/Mechanical Technologies, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Civil Engineer Superintendents Course, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
2009 First Sergeant’s Academy, Maxwell AFB AL
- September 1988 – December 1988, Student, Interior Electrician Basic Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, TX.
- December 1988 – December 1990, Apprentice Electrician, 52nd Civil Engineering Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany.
- January 1991 - March 1996, Electrical Systems Journeyman, 88th Civil Engineer Squadron, Wright- Patterson Air Force Base, OH.
- April 1996 - June 1999, Electrical Systems Journeyman, 24th Civil Engineer Squadron, Howard Air Force Base, Panama.
- June 1999 - April 2002, Electrical Systems Craftsman, 796th Civil Engineer Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida
- April 2002 – April 2005, NCOIC Alarms, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa Japan.
- May 2005 - January 2008, NCOIC Electrical Systems, 60th Civil Engineer Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California.
- January 2008 – September 2009, Assistant First Sergeant, 60th Civil Engineer Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California.
- October 2009 – present, First Sergeant, 20th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Drum, New York.
Major Awards and Decorations:
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 device
Air Force Commendation Medal with 2 devices
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with 3 devices
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 3 devices
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with six devices
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short with one device
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long with 2 devices
Air Force Expeditionary Service Medal with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with 4 devices
USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon with one device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Effective Dates of Promotion:
Master Sergeant July 1, 2004
Technical Sergeant June 1, 2001
Staff Sergeant March 1, 1996
Senior Airman August 15, 1991
Airman First Class December 15, 1989
Airman February 15, 1989
Airman Basic August 15, 1988
(Current as of Oct 2009)