210th Brigade Support Battalion History
The 10th Medical Battalion (former designation) was constituted on 27 August 1942. On 9 September 1942 the 10th Medical Battalion was activated at Camp Carson, Colorado. Major (Doctor) Harry L. Berman, the first commander, assumed command on 10 October 1942.
On 15 July 1943 the 10th Medical Battalion was reorganized and assigned to the 10th Mountain Division. During World War II the 10th Medical Battalion provided medical support for the 10th Mountain Division as it fought along the length of the Italian Peninsula. For its actions, the 10th Medical Battalion was awarded battle streamers for the North Apennines and Po Valley campaigns. Following the end of World War II the 10th Medical Battalion was inactivated at Camp Carson, Colorado.
On 1 July 1985 the 10th Medical Battalion was reactivated and again assigned to the 10th Mountain Division (LI) at Fort Drum, New York. On 1 October 1990 the 10th Medical Battalion was reorganized as the 210th Forward Support Battalion. On 24 August 1999, the battalion deployed to Bosnia-Herzegovina in support of Stabilization Force 6 (SFOR6) where is became the 210th Logistics Task Force. The battalion redeployed in March 2000 and transitioned back to the 210th Forward Support Battalion.
More recently, the battalion participated in various campaigns in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
In May 2003, the battalion deployed to Afghanistan in support of the Afghan National Army Training mission and provided quality combat service support and combat health support to the 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division (LI). The Battalion successfully established and emplaced logistic operations in Kabul, Afghanistan to support the 2nd Brigade Combat Team’s mission to train the Afghan National Army. The battalion redeployed in November 2003 to prepare for upcoming missions. Additionally, the battalion provided augmentation to the 10th Forward Support Battalion supporting the 1st brigade in Kandahar, Afghanistan from August 2003 to May 2004.
In May 2004, the battalion was called upon to support the 2nd Brigade Combat Team (BCT) while it deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2.5. For this mission, the battalion had the daunting task of supporting the newly motorized and mechanized 2nd BCT conducting combat operations in a tough, urban environment. Due to the fluid nature of operations and continuous task organization, 210th FSB, at one point, was supporting 12 maneuver battalions, three times its doctrinal capability. The battalion, however, successfully accomplished its mission and provided world class combat service support and combat health support to the warfighter. The 210th Forward Battalion was instrumental to the success of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team in its endeavors to win the Global War on Terrorism.
Upon its return to Fort Drum, the 210th transformed from a three-company Forward Support Battalion to an eight-company Brigade Support Battalion. In less than a year the battalion received over 600 additional personnel and over 10,000 new vehicles and pieces of equipment. The newly transformed, multifunctional battalion provides supply (HQ and A Co), maintenance (B Co), medical (C Co), and forward support (D, E, F, G Co) to the 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 10th Mountain Division (LI).
In August 2006, the 210th Brigade Support Battalion was once again called upon to support the 2nd Brigade Combat Team during its fight against the Global War on Terrorism. The battalion deployed to Camp Striker, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08 and provided world-class support to the brigade at multiple patrol bases, forward operating bases, and battle positions across the brigade’s area of operations. In November 2007, the Battalion redeployed and to train and rebuild in preparation for future missions.
In August 2009, the 210th Brigade Support Battalion deployed to Iraq a third time to support the 2nd Brigade Combat Team. The battalion was headquartered in Contingency Operating Station (COS) Hammer an isolated base located approximately 40 miles east of Baghdad. The Commando Providers produced remarkable results ensuring that the brigade received world class logistical support. During this deployment, the Battalion partnered with the 1st Federal Police Sustainment Battalion helping establish the organization from the ground up and Colonel Abbas, the Commander of the Besmaya Combined Training Complex. The Battalion spearheaded the establishment and conducted daily operations of the “Hammer Four Corners” retrograde operations which allowed the brigade to conduct rapid redeployment operations from COS Hammer. The Battalion is now focusing on resetting, retraining, and preparing for the Nation’s next call to duty.