4th BATTALION, 25th FIELD ARTILLERY (STRIKE)
The 4-25th FA traces its history to Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment. It was originally constituted on 5 July 1918 in the Regular Army with the 25th Regiment in the 9th Infantry Division. The battery was demobilized on 8 February 1919 following World War I at Camp McClellan, Alabama. The unit was reconstituted on 22 December 1920 as Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment (Philippine Scouts) at Fort William McKinley, Philippine Islands in the Philippine Division. On 1 January 1930 the 25th Field Artillery Regiment was relieved of duty with the Philippine Division and reassigned to the 9th Infantry Division and dropped the Philippine Scout designation. On 1 December 1934 the 25th Field Artillery Regiment was activated at Madison Barracks, NY.
On 30 December 1940 the unit was reorganized as Battery A, 25th Field Artillery Battalion. On 19 December 1942 the unit was again reconstituted as Battery A, 604th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to Camp Carson, Colorado as part of the 10th Infantry Division (Mountain) for World War II where the unit earned campaign streamers in the North Appenines, Rhineland, Po Valley, and Central Europe. Following World War II Battery A, 604th Field Artillery Battalion was redesignated Battery A, 25th Field Artillery Battalion and inactivated on 10 November 1945.
On 29 November 1949 Battery A, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was redesignated the Battery A, 25th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion and consolidated with the 25th Field Artillery Battalion. The consolidated unit was assigned to the 10th Light Infantry Division until inactivated on 1 July 1957 and relieved from the 10th Light Infantry Division.
On 31 July 1959 the unit is redesignated as HHB, 4th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment and later redesignated on 19 June 1964 as Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment. On 25 September 1969 Battery D, was activated in Vietnam where it earned campaign credit in the Sanctuary Counteroffensive and Counteroffensive, Phase VII.
Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was again inactivated on 1 August 1970 following service in Vietnam. On 21 June 1976 Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division and activated at Fort Riley, Kansas and remained in active status until 1 July 1995. During that time D Battery fought in Operation Desert Storm as a Target Acquisition Battery in the 1st Infantry Division.
On 9 August 2004 Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was again redesignated as 4th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment. On 16 September 2004 4th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was activated in the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, NY as part of the Army Transformation in the modular concept for the 21st Century. As all can see the 25th FAR history is one of continuous transformation and change to meet the demands of the constantly evolving nature of war. We as the first officers assigned to the new 4th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment will carry on the tradition of our forebears by leading change and enabling combined arms operations with devastating fire support.
Campaign Participation Credit
World War II Vietnam
North Apennines Summer-Fall 1969
Rhineland Winter-Spring 1970
Ardennes-Alsace Sanctuary Counteroffensive
Central Europe Counteroffensive, Phase VII
Persian Gulf War
Operation Desert Shield
Operation Desert Storm