Cantonment Area Road conditions: Amber as of 3/15/2018 9:46 AM Reporting Status: Normal
Training Area Road conditions: Amber as of 3/19/2018 3:53 PM Frost bite temperature: 5 as of 3/19/2018 03:06 AM

FAQ's - ETS/Retirement Out-Processing

Fort Drum Enlisted Separations - Transition Center
Frequently Asked Questions

When can I expect my separation orders??

Separation orders are published 120 days prior to scheduled discharge date and given to unit S-1's.  soldiers receive separation orders from their supporting unit S-1's.

back to top

When can I start clearing?

AR 600-8-101, Personnel Processing (In-Out-, Soldier Readiness, Mobilization, and Deployment Processing), paragraph 3-5, a(3), 18 July 2003. “Soldiers who will transition will report not later than 14 duty days prior to the scheduled departure date to receive a briefing on installation-/community-level clearance procedures”. As stated on all separation orders, this briefing in conducted every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 1400 hours in Clark Hall, room A1-35/36. Attendees MUST have in their possession a copy of their separation orders (with all amendments) and a copy of their approved terminal leave form (DA Form 31) if applicable. Unit S-1s are the information source for this action.

back to top

Is it possible for me to get an early release to attend college?

Yes, soldiers may be discharged or released from active duty for the convenience of the Government UP TO 90 days before ETS, in order to attend a specific term at college, university, vocational school or technical school. AR 635-200, Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Separations, paragraph 5-16, 6 June 2005 outlines the procedure. Unit S-1s are the information source for this action.

back to top

I was discharged from the Army at Fort Drum 2 years ago and lost both original copies 1 and 4 of my DD Form 214.  How can I obtain an original certified copy?

Replacing or obtaining a certified copy of your DD Form 214 is very time consuming.  All replacement copies can be requested by submitting a Military Records Request (SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.  Contact information: Phone: 314-801-0800, Fax: 314-801-9195, Email: Website:

back to top

My unit was stopped loss.  I was deployed to Iraq for 12 months, and upon returning, I am now about to ETS from the Army. Why am I not authorized the 6 months of Transitional Health Care for myself and family members like other soldiers in my unit?

Under the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004, effective 28 October 2004, TRICARE eligibility under the TAMP has been permanently extended from 60 or 120 days to 180 days for soldiers who were involuntarily retained past their contractual ETS date in support of a contingency operation and for soldiers who voluntarily agree to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation.

back to top

What documents are required at my final out appointment?
  1. DA Form 137-1/-2.  Must be COMPLETELY cleared from all unit and installation facilities and agencies.
  2. DA Form 2648, ACAP checklist.  (Source, ACAP Office)
  3. Finance appointment memorandum.  (Source, Finance briefing and unit S-1)
  4. An updated ERB/ORB.  (Source, unit S-1)
  5. An updated copy of your SGLV and DA Form 93.  (Source, under PSDR, BCT S-1...non-PSDR, Clark Hall room C2-14)

back to top