Effective May 1, MetLife will become the dental carrier for the TRICARE Dental Program.
MetLife will begin providing dental coverage to more than 2 million Family Members of uniformed service active-duty personnel, members of the Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve, their eligible Family Members, and survivors.
Note: The change to MetLife is for the TRICARE Dental Program only. The Active-Duty Dental Program will still be administered by United Concordia.
Beneficiaries will have access to MetLife's network with more than 161,000 dentist access points, and this number continues to grow.
Changes to the TRICARE Dental Program will include enhanced dental coverage at a lower premium share than before.
MetLife will distribute program information and provider network details beginning in first quarter of 2012.
Highlights of the benefits and enhancements are listed as follows:
- Coverage of posterior resin (tooth-colored / white) fillings;
- Increase in the annual maximum to $1,300 per enrollee (previously, it was $1,200);
- Increase in the lifetime orthodontic maximum to $1,750;
- $1,200 per year for services related to dental treatment due to an accident as defined in the TDP handbook;
- No cost shares for scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) for diabetics;
- Coverage of an additional (third) cleaning for women during pregnancy; and
- Expansion of the survivor benefits to surviving spouse and child(ren).
If you would like to check to see whether your dentist is already part of the MetLife network, log on to http://www.metlife.com/tricare/index.html#welcome. Click Find a Dentist on the right and search for a DPPO provider.
Dentists who are not members can easily request an application on the website at www.metdental.com.
Note: Claims will continue to be processed as they are now, and changes in the mailing address, claims processing, etc., will be provided in early 2012.
The TRICARE Dental Program plan year will be from May 1, when MetLife assumes the program, to April 30, 2013.
Information about the contract is available at www.tricare.mil/
TDPcontract. Benefit updates are available at www.tricare.mil.
For additional information locally, call Michelle Zegarelli at 772-4342.