Cantonment Area Road conditions: Amber as of 2/12/2018 11:51 AM Reporting Status: Normal
Training Area Road conditions: Amber as of 2/20/2018 6:50 AM Frost bite temperature: 40 as of 2/20/2018 06:18 AM

The Mountaineer Online

Fort Drum officials prepare for upcoming tax season

Capt. Steven Brady

Contributing Writer

The Fort Drum Tax Assistance Center is scheduled to open Feb. 1. The Tax Assistance Center will be staffed by IRS trained and certified Soldiers.
The staff will prepare and electronically file patrons’ 2012 federal and state income tax returns free of charge. The TAC staff also is equipped to prepare 2011 returns for Soldiers returning from deployment who were not able to file last year.
Now is the time to begin gathering tax-related documents, thinking about actions taken over the past year that have tax consequences, and planning to file your 2012 tax returns.
The Fort Drum Tax Assistance Center staff is pleased to provide free tax services for active-duty Soldiers and their Family Members; mobilized Reservists and their Family Members; Soldiers receiving either retirement or disability pay, and their Family Members; and surviving Family Members of active-duty and retired Soldiers, as well as mobilized Reservists.
The Tax Assistance Center is located at the corner of Lewis Avenue and First Street (Conway) on South Post in Bldg. T-120 (the same location as last year for those who used the service). The TAC will be open Monday through Friday and, if resources permit, will have extended hours into the evenings and portions of Saturdays.
Beginning Jan. 28, you may call 772-6727 to schedule an appointment. Throughout the tax season, the appointment line will open at 1 p.m. each day.
Under Army regulations, self-employed taxpayers and those involved in private business activities are not eligible for tax assistance services (Family Child Care, or FCC, providers are the exception).
The following documents are required to schedule an appointment:
*Military ID (Common Access Card)
*Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration. (Your military ID is not sufficient.)
*Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents listed on the tax return
*Your Army W-2, available at (Your leave and earnings statement is not sufficient.)
*A voided check to receive your refund by direct deposit
Note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present or you must have a special power of attorney or IRS Form 2848 authorizing you to sign the return.
Depending on your circumstances, the following additional documents may be necessary:
*Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
*Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
*Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers of all your Family Members
*Interest and dividend statements from banks and brokers, including mortgage interest statements (Forms 1099)
*A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
*Divorce decrees and receipts for alimony paid or received
*Child custody and support orders
*Receipts for IRA contributions
*Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business employer identification number)
*Receipts and other supporting documentation if you plan to itemize your deductions in lieu of the standard deduction
The Tax Assistance Center is a valuable benefit to Soldiers and their Families, who not only save money through the free service, but also by receiving refunds in as few as 10 days with electronic filing. For the most up-to-date information on the TAC, visit
A wealth of additional tax information can be obtained from the IRS website at Also, be on the lookout for articles during coming weeks and months regarding specific tax issues, benefits and changes.
Beginning Jan. 23, additional information can be obtained by calling the Fort Drum Tax Assistance Center at 772-3735.
Brady serves as officer in charge of the Fort Drum Tax Assistance Center.

The Mountaineer



Public Affairs Office
Attn: Fort Drum Mountaineer
10012 South Riva Ridge Loop
Fort Drum NY 13602-5028
This Army Civilian Enterprise Newspaper is an authorized publication for members of the U.S. Army. Contents of the Fort Drum Mountaineer Online are not necessarily the official news of, or endorsed by, the U.S. Government, the Department of Defense, Department of the Army, or Fort Drum.