The Fort Drum Archaeology Club will kick off the upcoming summer field season by visiting the original Pine Camp Horse-Mounted Cavalry Camp Site at 1 p.m. Saturday. The group will meet at the Fort Drum Fish and Wildlife Permit Office on Route 26 next to Wheeler-Sack Army Airfield.
The visit is open to Soldiers and civilians of all ages. Children 15 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Like all Fort Drum Archaeology Club events, it is free and open to anyone interested.
The cavalry camp site dates back to 1908, although many of the permanent structures were not built until 1928. Visitors to Pine Camp in 1930 would have seen Soldiers getting their mounts fitted with shoes, hundreds of horses lined up at their feeding troughs, horses being loaded on and off of train cars for transport and Soldiers saddling up and getting ready to go out into the field.
On this tour, visitors will see remains of the original blacksmith shop, remnants of tent pads, the horse troughs that lined the road between the stables, as well as foundations of pump houses and latrines. The archaeology team also will bring historic images of the camp for comparison and artifacts recovered from excavations in and around the camp.
The Fort Drum Archaeology Club has been established to share with Soldiers and civilians the history and archaeology of Fort Drum. Organizers invite anyone interested in these topics to attend this visit.
In addition to taking excursions to points of historical interest all around Fort Drum, the Fort Drum Archaeology Club also plans to host digs during the summer for those who want to experience archaeology firsthand. An excursion being planned for this summer is a trip to Fort Stanwix in Rome that includes an archaeological investigation for the remains of Fort Bull (a French and Indian War fort).
For information about the visit to the Cavalry Camp or about the Fort Drum Archaeology Club, check out the Fort Drum Cultural Resources Facebook page, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 772-4165. o